The shorter days that come with fall and winter allow for more hours of opportunity for a burglar to lurk in the blanket of nightfall. So now is a good time to take a fresh look at the measures you have in place and consider steps that will keep them at bay.
Below are some effective tips to consider throughout and you can rely on us for our smart home security camera system with exhaustive customization setup across Norfolk.
Keep Curtains or Blinds Shut at Night
Lights on, dark outside? Keep your curtains or blinds shut. Leaving them open allows people to see straight into your home and access what valuables you may have.
Not just the main ones on your exterior doors, but also have a closer look at locks on windows, the garage, and the shed. Are the screws that hold their fittings in place become worn and in need of replacement? Even if they’re in good order, the value of the things you want to protect might have increased, making it a good time to invest in more heavy-duty locks.
Lights Lights and More Lights
Yes, nightfall makes the outdoors dark, but the exterior of your home doesn’t have to be.
- Consider smart lighting Smart lights make it look like you’re home even if you’re not. Smart lights allow you to control the lights inside and outside your home, all through your smart device app, no matter where you are.
- Floodlights can be used in areas that are prone to be darker or more spacious. They illuminate wide areas, like your front and backyard.
- Motion-activated lights are great because not only will they alert you to move on your property, but they will also act as a deterrent to intruders.
Additional Peace of Mind
- A complete home security system ensures that your home is protected and comes with many benefits that will help during even the darkest of nights.
- Equipping your home with smart home technology solutions allows you to do things like:
- Monitor your home when you are away with life and recorded video.
- Remotely control your lighting quickly, turning the lights in your home on and off as needed.
- You can even establish “scenes” within your security app so when you get home and unlock your door, your security system disarms, and your lights turn on automatically.
- With smart video monitoring, you’ll know you will be able to monitor all activity outside and in your home and receive alerts from your security app when incidents occur.
For more fall and winter home security tips and solutions like smart lighting, smart video monitoring, and more, contact one of our experts at Johns Brothers Security in Norfolk at 757-852-3300! We are happy to help provide solutions that will make you feel more secure no matter the time of day, month, or year!