The moving process can be long and overwhelming, especially if you’ve never done it before. A lot of factors must be taken into consideration during the preparation and packing phase.
In order to minimize the stress and tension that accompany moving to a new home, we have provided some tips to help you keep yourself and your possessions safe.
Keeping an Inventory of Your Items Is Essential
You should make a detailed list of your items before loading them on the moving truck. Build a spreadsheet listing all your valuables with their descriptions, quantities, and photos. Even though it may be a bit more work, taking inventory will help you quickly identify missing items during your move.
You should also include all features of your security system in the inventory if your current security provider works in your new neighborhood. Take note of the following equipment:
- Video Cameras
- Security Lights
- All Door and Window Locks
- All Sensor Equipment
Providers have different moving policies. Check with your home security company in Norfolk to help you look at various options if you are moving. They might have programs in place to support customers that are relocating.
Contact your home security company at least two months before your moving date. Coordinating logistics will be easier if you have the appropriate amount of time.
Check Your Movers’ Credentials and Supervise Them
Do your homework when trying to find a moving company. This is crucial in helping to prevent moving fraud. When a moving company gives an estimate, loads the belongings on a truck, and then asks for a much higher price than agreed upon, it is called moving fraud. Unpaid estimates often lead to homeowners never seeing their belongings again.
Even though most moving companies are legitimate, you should still research and vet your movers before moving. If you want to avoid moving scams, keep in mind the following recommendations:
- Always have the moving company provide a written estimate.
- Confirm the moving company is registered and properly insured with the right authorities.
- Verify the company’s legitimacy on review sites like Yelp.
- Secure a copy of “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move” booklet from the companies you are considering. Customers are required to receive this information from moving companies under federal regulations.
- Make sure you are as involved as possible. You are less likely to be victimized by dishonest movers while you are present. The more familiar you become with your movers, the easier it will be for you to recognize suspicious activity at your home.
Put Your Existing Security System to Use
Security equipment like video cameras and alarms are helpful for keeping your things secure. Until the move is complete, keep the following installed and active:
- Access control allows homeowners to see who comes and goes from their homes. You can secure your home with access control by using unique or temporary passcodes and keep track of who is entering and when.
- The alarm system should be set once the movers have left. Moving can sometimes take several days, depending on the amount of stuff being moved. Having your home broken into during your moving process is the last thing you need. So keep your alarm system activated.
- Video surveillance systems will capture all activity in and around the residence. Make sure your cameras are recording throughout the move so you can keep an eye on your valuables.
Whether you are moving for work, family, or personal reasons, making a move is a major life event that requires careful consideration and planning. Be sure to follow these tips to safeguard your family and belongings.
Keep Your New Home Secure Too
If you want your new home to be safe and secure, too, let Johns Brothers Security design a home security system that is tailored specifically to your needs. Investing in a smart home security system professionally installed is a wise choice for you.
Moreover, every home and every homeowner’s security needs are unique. To determine the best home security solution for your lifestyle, a reputable company like Johns Brothers Security should inspect your home. Give us a call today at 1-800-242-9760!