The spring season will be upon us before you know it. There will be warmer temperatures and longer and sunnier days in the near future. It’s also the time of year when many people feel the need to tackle some significant cleaning projects around the house. But what about home security “spring cleaning? In this season of renewal, there are many ways in which you can make your home a safer, more secure space for you and your family. So, with that in mind, here are some home security spring cleaning tips that can make all of the difference and ensure your security system in Hampton, VA, is in good order.
Outdoor Cleaning Tips for Top Home Security
In order to keep your home safe, it is important to take care of its exterior. Try the following recommendations this spring:
- Make sure your home’s exterior lighting is in good working order. Inspect all lighting fixtures and bulbs to ensure they are in good working order.
- Ensure the address numbers for your home are visible from the street by displaying them on your mailbox, curb, and/or front porch or doorway. In case of an emergency, responders will be able to clearly locate your house.
- Check all outdoor security cameras that are a part of your wireless smart home security system. If you live in an area where winter weather is extreme, make sure all your cameras outside your home are working. There is a possibility that cameras were damaged by snow and severe weather. Clean any dirt and dust from camera lenses with a soft cloth and secure the mounts with a screwdriver.
- Keep your landscaping in good shape. To prevent intruders from hiding, trim bushes and other overgrown plants that are up against or very close to the exterior of your house. Any fences or other outside boundaries that have been damaged should also be checked and repaired.
Indoor Cleaning Ideas for Maximum Home Security
Now it’s time to switch focus from the outside to the interior of your home to help optimize the effectiveness of your wireless smart home security system.
- Be sure to check the locks on all windows and doors to make sure they are latched and work properly. If any locks seem inadequate, adjust or repair them. Give a good cleaning to all windows so that you can see outside well. You’ll be safer the better you can see.
- Cleaning of equipment. Camera lenses and light fixtures should be cleaned regularly. Besides making your vision clearer, dust and dirt build-up can cause future equipment issues.
- According to the U.S. Fire Administration, three out of five residential fire deaths result from smoke alarms that do not work. Test all detectors or complete a system check with your wireless smart home security system to make sure all are operating.
Testing Your Smart Home Security System
Once you have polished and evaluated your home security features, next up is testing your system.
Your control panel’s model and manufacturer will determine the steps to follow. Contact your home security company to ensure a proper test is conducted, and everything is in good order. They should be able to walk you through the process or complete it for you.
For More Home Security Tips, Look to Johns Brothers Security
We have a variety of tips and solutions available on our home security blog to help you and your family stay protected. Over the past 40 years, Johns Brothers Security has provided residents and businesses with state-of-the-art, quality-assured home security systems in Hampton, VA, that have helped them to stay safe and secure. Our company places high importance on customer service in an era where this is often lacking in the world. Our clients happily recommend us to their friends and family members for various reasons. Providing quality products and services at fair prices is one of the core values of Johns Brothers Security.
Call Johns Brothers Security today if you would like to learn more about how they can design a home security system in Hampton, VA, that is perfect for your needs. You’ll be glad you called 1-800-242-9760!